In the middle of my library makeover, I decided I could no longer stand the out-of-date chandelier that was hanging in the exact center of the room, wall to wall and floor to ceiling. I'm lucky I'm so short. This is a picture of the chandelier before, when the house still belonged to it's previous owner.
Shaded glass? Bronze? It was monstrous. I hated it. So what did I do? I left it right where it was, took off the glass very slowly and carefully, and spray painted the bronze parts black. And THEN I cleaned my carpet very thoroughly because this was my first adventure with spray paint and I had no idea it could go around the paper I put down and get to my carpet anyway. I then pasted tracing paper onto the glass with wallpaper glue, and then painted directly onto the tracing paper.
I wanted to use paper that was thin enough to see the light through, but I wasn't expecting it to look like smoked glass after I had pasted it on. That was a happy accident. As you can see from the last picture, I was done with the part of the wall that I could reach without a ladder. My mom was bringing the ladder with her the next day I think. This project cost absolutely NOTHING. I had the acrylic paint, spray paint, tracing paper, and wallpaper glue from previous projects. The only thing I had to buy was the carpet cleaner, which I now stock up on. It's called Incredible for a reason, you know.